Commercial packaging is generally used in the transfer of goods from one point of production to another. Also, commercial packaging solutions provide the last chain of packaging for delivering from producers to purchasers. It is the art and technology of designing, producing and enclosing products for transporting, storing and using. The machines used in the process can be either purchased or manufactured for in-house uses.
Objectives of commercial packaging:
There are several objectives of commercial packaging solutions other than mere packing and moving. Some of the other objectives are:
- Security of products- The enclosed products may require protection from a lot of things like vibration, temperature, compression, oxygen, dust, etc.
- Agglomeration- For efficiency in storage and selling, companies may require to package things in groups like powders, liquids and granular materials.
- Information transfer: Labels on the packaging are meant to transfer information about the product to the buyer. Most of it is also used for track and trace reasons.
- Marketing: Good packaging encourages people to be buyers of a product. Physical and graphic design of packaging has evolved a lot in the past decade and is more communicative now.
Features of advanced commercial packaging solutions:
Modern day commercial packaging has drastically changed and seen a paradigm shift due to upgraded technology and consumer awareness. Convenience and sustainability have now become the prime focus of the market. Advanced commercial packaging is now much more quicker and sustainable. They support useful and minimal designs, are made up of Eco-friendly materials and uses bold colors. Below are the top modern commercial packaging solutions that will you need to know:
- Simple Designing- One of the biggest changes in commercial packaging designs these days is a move from complicated designing to simplified and minimal versions. Industrial packaging now makes use of appropriate colors and clean labeling which puts the product at the forefront and not its brand.
- Clear labels: Brands want to communicate with their customers clearly which brings clear labeling into picture. Large sized bold fonts are used to display and inform exactly what is their inside the packaging. Furthermore, this is sign of transparency and hence modern commercial packaging solutions ensure to keep this in mind.
- Sustainability: Packaging made from bamboo, palm leaves and similar natural products are examples of sustainable packaging. It makes use of an extremely thin layer of poly lactic acid. This makes the packaging highly degradable and improves sustainability.
- Convenience Features- Advanced packaging these days is a part of the product itself and not an add-on for shipping. Reusable packaging for safe and prolonged storage with extra convenience features are widely seen in the market especially with pharmaceutical and food brands.
- Unconventional Designs- Unconventional designs help your products to stand out from among the others. When it comes to advanced commercial packaging solutions, brands are always exploring unconventional and unique designs.
Types of commercial packaging that are generally used:
Advanced commercial packaging solutions are not just limited to simply packing and sending the products from one place to another. There is a lot more to it. Now, there are a lot of aspects to be considered as the types of packaging keep changing from product to product. The quality, significance and importance of the product are all portrayed by the packaging used. Below are some of the commercial packaging types used to enhance product and customer experience:
- Paperboard- Paperboard is simply a material made out of paper which is lightweight but strong enough to carry something. It can be easily manipulated and cut for creating custom structures and shapes. These features make it ideal in commercial packaging for products that are not too heavy and are delicate. It is basically made by furious substances which is derived through wood or by recycling paper. Paperboard is available in various grades, so you can select which grade is suitable for your requirements.
- Poly bags- Poly bags are manufactured with the help of thin and flexible plastic film fabric. They are also popularly called plastic bags or pouchs. It is a very common type of commercial packaging and is used for flowers, magazines, waste, chemicals and so on. Poly bags are reusable, flexible and lightweight. They are fully customizable from style, size to designs and are still very affordable.
- Plastic- Plastic is widely used in this industry as the applications are almost seen everywhere. Airtight plastic containers help preserve the food quality and eliminates nutrition degradation and contamination concerns. A lot of metal products are also packaged with plastic as it does not easily break. The flexible nature, lightweightedness and transparency makes it a great commercial packaging option.
- Chipboard packaging- A chipboard is another type of paperboard made of reclaimed paper. Chipboard packaging materials are easily folded, cut or formed. It is very cost-effective and is used for catering to the electronic, food, beverage and medical industries. To make it more durable, packaging companies sometimes use the Clay Coated News Back (CCNB).
- Rigid boxes- All the luxury retail items like Marc Jacobs, Rolex, Apple and Tiffany and Co. uses rigid boxes for commercial packaging solutions. It is a type of cardboard built with a paperboard which is highly condensed and is way more thicker compared to the paperboard utilized in constructing a standard level folding carton. This is one of the most expensive styles of packaging. But big companies do use it for merchandising luxury products like jewellery, technical devices, cosmetics and other items.
- Foil sealed bags- These bags are in an airtight condition and traps the oxygen to keep it fresh. Apart from this and other food items, these foil sealed bags are used to package clothing and bedding products.
- Corrugated boxes- Cardboard boxes come in a lot of kinds depending on the strength, performance and durability. Small consumer goods, pizza delivery boxes and retail packaging are some of the applications of corrugated boxes in commercial packaging solutions.
Commercial packaging solutions are a large part of every brand. It is the last chain of work in the production process. Nowadays, there are many other forms of packaging as well like woven polypropylene bags, bulk bags, flexible packaging and multi wall bags. Every style serves its own range of products.